Do you want to work on challenging, thought-provoking and truly interesting projects? An exciting opportunity now exists for an Aquatic Scientist to join our Ecology and Biodiversity Management Team, located within our Brisbane office.
Hydrobiology believes in building inclusive, diverse, creative teams of people; not programmed Robots! Taking on this role is a great opportunity for you to ‘dive in’, consolidate and expand your career as one of our awesome Aquatic Scientist specialists working within our professional, multi-award-winning Environmental Consultancy business! It is expected that the successful candidate, over time; will be able to develop this position to become part of our Senior Leadership Team.
As our Aquatic Scientist, you will report directly to the Ecology and Biodiversity Management Team Lead / Principal Scientist. In this role, you will be expected to provide scientific and technical support to Senior Staff; particularly in relation to preparing for, and undertaking biological sampling, data collation and analysis and report preparation.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate the preparation of field work (e.g. equipment packing/freighting and organising travel and accommodation).
- Undertake biological sampling (often in remote and inaccessible areas), including fish and invertebrate sampling and aquatic/riparian habitat assessment.
- Provide field-based support to other Hydrobiology departments as required.
- Assist with demobilisation of field trips (e.g. cleaning and storing of equipment) and maintaining laboratory and equipment storage areas.
- Undertake data collection, collation and statistical analysis.
- Assist senior staff with the preparation of proposals, reports and other documents as directed.
- Coordinate animal ethics and fisheries permit requirements (including data collation and notifying Fisheries Department prior to field work as appropriate).
- Undertake routine administration duties (including timesheet entry, logging of project-related expenses, attendance of weekly office meetings etc).
- Commitment to Hydrobiology’s HSEQ Integrated Management System, including Company policies, procedures and safe work practices.
- Maintain status and contribute to a professional society.
- Undertake other tasks as required by the role.
* Please Note: The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete list of tasks.
Essential Skills Required:
- A technical background in Aquatic Ecology (ideally with an Honours and/or Masters qualifications), preferably in freshwater.
- At least one year of professional experience either within a research or consulting role.
- Solid grounding in experimental design and ecological statistics.
- Ability to produce high quality technical reports or publications that are clear and concise, yet pitched at a non-expert audience.
- A desire to support other technical staff and others across the company.
- Be willing and able to travel for field work (Local, Interstate & International).
- GIS experience (including Arc platforms).
- Driver’s License.
- Pre-Employment Medical (required).
What We Can offer You!
- Full-time; entry level position.
- Flexible hours /work-life balance offerings.
- Attractive salary and benefits package; based on skills, experiences and abilities.
- Fieldwork / Travel opportunities (Local, Interstate & International).
- Fantastic recently refurbished, spacious and modern office located in Milton, within Brisbane’s CBD with great views of Suncorp Stadium, onsite parking and close to Public Transport.
- Professional Development offerings, with prospective career path progression opportunities.
- Annual Company Team Building Activities- ‘Hydrobiology Day’ for the inclusion of all Staff.
- Health & Wellbeing Offerings / Employee Green Fund Initiatives / Employee Assistance Program; all promoting a healthy lifestyle, within a safe & supportive working environment.
Hydrobiology is a multi-award-winning Environmental Consulting company, with offices located in Brisbane, Perth, Port Moresby, Singapore and Brazil offering integrated services in the physical, biological and chemical processes of environmental systems, with a particular emphasis on the aquatic environment. We have key technical strengths in environmental consulting, in the areas of risk assessment, ecology and impact assessment, hydrology, ecotoxicology, freshwater and marine ecology, coasts and ports, river mechanics, water quality, land and water, environmental geochemistry and contaminated sediment management. Hydrobiology’s focus is technical excellence and high level scientific expertise delivered within a commercial framework. We are able to provide our clients with the best possible understanding of environmental risk for their environmental and impact management needs.
Our recent Achievements!
The Hydrobiology Group is extremely proud of our ongoing achievements. Most recently our Singapore Regional Office has just celebrated it’s 5 year Anniversary in 2023, delivering environmental solutions in Singapore, Southeast Asia and beyond! There are too many highlights to list, many large and small challenges (projects) to talk about, excellent interactions with clients and other colleagues, and plenty of fun had along the way, with our amazingly talented team of professionals. Our Singapore team made a short video clip to share our 5 year journey with you, so please take a moment to check it out here: https://youtu.be/kN7SMOfSiC4 In 2021 Hydrobiology participated in the Australian ‘Premier of Queensland’s Export Awards’, along with 35 other companies and became a finalist in the Professional Services category. Through incredibly challenging times we persevered and won the ‘Sustainability Award’, which could not have been achieved without the determination and commitment of our exceptional Hydrobiology Team!
Environmental sustainability is core to our business strategy and integrated into everything we do. We put health and safety first, we are environmentally aware and responsible, we respect human rights and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, and we engage with our communities. It is our ongoing responsibility to continue to conserve nature and our resources, while protecting our global ecosystems to support environmental health and wellbeing, now and into the future, for generations to come!
Your application would also benefit from demonstrated skills in one or more of the following:
- Developed field skills, particularly in the assessment of fish and macroinvertebrate population and community status, and water quality sampling.
- Previous consulting experience.
To apply, please forward the following to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your Resume.
- A covering letter addressing the listed essential and demonstrated skill set.
** Please Note: We respectfully ask that only those who have the right to live and work in Australia apply **
Should you have any questions about the position, please contact Justin Cutajar via email: email@example.com
Applications close on Friday 2nd February 2024.